Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sogni nel Cassetto

Dreams in the drawer is what the italians call them.

You know when you ask a child, say 5 years old, what they want to do with their life?  5 year olds tell you their dreams, and usually they are big dreams.  Big, fun, passionate, and usually next to impossible dreams.  5 year olds want to be ballerinas or baseball players, and they want to have 100 dogs and 10 ponies and magic powers and a swimming pool filled with frosting.  As the years pass children...people's dreams get smaller, more serious, more realistic.  People come up with dreams that fit into their own and other's perceptions of what they can and should do. That happens to the dreams we choose to tell people. The other dreams, the 5 year old's dreams, they get put in a drawer, hidden the under the old photos, some lingerie, that hideous pair of bell bottoms that you still love, and other private things that you don't want the world to see.  These are the sogni nel cassetto.

About 15 years ago I was given the opportunity to rethink how I was living and what I was doing with my life so I got my dream out of the drawer and dusted it off.  Two dreams actually: 1. be an artist, 2. live in italy.

Last Monday morning I had to run some errands:
1. go to the printers to order promotion postcards and posters for the upcoming show my friend Christine and I are having in the art gallery in Badalucco.








2. Pick up my Permesso di Soggiorno Illimitato (indefinite permit of stay)



That was a good day.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful you can live your dream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful text, Lynn. Really, really touching...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told you this before. I am glad to tell you again; your book for children is amazing!!!
    No wonder Italy has decided to keep you in the country. Good luck with your exhibition

    ReplyDelete