Saturday, May 08, 2010

Slacker

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Week 4 of the 20/20 project is going to have to bleed into week 5. What a drag to have to admit to you all that I didn't get my homework done this week. Drag. Here's my list of excuses:

1. The dog ate my orto.

2. There was a strike so all trains to my orto were cancelled.

3. I was bedridden with that 72 hour malaria bug that was going around.

4. I sprained my belly-button which made bending extremely painful.

5. There was a volcano in Iceland.

6. I accidentally flushed my hoe down the toilet.

7. I over slept Sunday night and woke up on Friday.

8. My nail polish was wet.

9. Granny smack.

Truth is, it wasn't my fault. Coming off my enthusiasm for having the orto tilled last week(thanks Earle-in-Denver, a motozappa is a roto-tiller), first thing Monday morning I was elbow deep in the dirt. I worked all morning making perfect little rows for my tomatoes and peppers, leaving little walkways between. Beautiful. See...





And then the clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped. It rained for the next five days (good) and it was cold, very very cold (bad).

All I could do was sit on the couch with my smack and hope that what I (prematurely) planted will survive.



My excuse for not finishing that is ... I'm in Italy. I ran out of yarn at midnight on Friday and there are no 24-hour yarn shops in this country.

Well, let's not dwell on the past. Week 5's project is to construct an arch of sorts to support this stray grape vine behind the house (and finish the orto, of course).



I haven't a clue how I'm going to do this, by the way. But how cool will that be?! Look! It even has grapes already.



Knitting projects will include plugging away at the blanket I started last week (assuming I can get more yarn) and some of these socks. I love them and they will look so cute tromping through the orto.

3 comments:

  1. You are darling and so funny. I love your list of "excuses." I may just borrow some of those in the future as needed. :)

    I look forward to seeing your progress on all of your projects.

    Very best,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny smack? Good thing you are so thin so that you will be able to walk bewteen the plants to harvest your bounty.
    Mary bought her plants this weekend but snow is on the way so she had to delay the planting. Hope you have better weather.
    EarleinDenver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loving following your progress! We are ambitious in the same ways. :)

    ReplyDelete