Saturday, October 03, 2009

I'm really wondering when I developed A.D.D. Is there such a thing as adult onset attention deficit disorder? There must be because I'm definitely A.D.D. now and I definitely wasn't as a child.

Really, it's true. You can ask my parents, or my sister, or any of my childhood friends how I was as a kid (ok, those three profiles encompass 98% of my readership). I was a parents' dream (we're talking under the age of 10 here). I could keep myself occupied for hours, no DAYS without any problem. None. Collecting stones, gluing sticks to bark, making forts...all alone, for hours, DAYS. This of course made me a sister's nightmare, or at least my sister's nightmare. She wasn't that into stones and I wasn't that into talking about boys (again, we're talking about the pre-10 years). I'm not exactly sure how my childhood behaviors affected my friends...those of you reading, feel free to chime in in the comments, don't worry you won't hurt my feelings.

And now? I don't get it. My attention span now stretches all of ...well, not long. For example, I just forgot what I was saying because I got up to get a glass of water and some knitting - something to do between sentences. Oh, yeah, I was saying that I have a hard time focussing for a long time. I'd like to say I can watch a whole movie but I can really only do that if I'm doing something else at the same time - something with my hands. Just like that kid in kindergarten who needed to have flour filled balloon in his (or her) hands in order to sit through classroom group time. Yup. That's me.

When did this happen and how do I get rid of it? It's kind of getting in my way. It's negatively affecting my life. Here's some examples:

--my dogs only get 5 minute walks...they get 20 a day, but still only 5 minutes a pop.
--seen any finished knitting projects posted here lately? Nope, you sure haven't.
--I have a hairless, naked doll lying on my work table
--only half of garden is green, the half closest to the hose
--I can't seem to finish a blog post

1 comment:

  1. oneofthedanes8:42 AM

    You turned 40, didn´t you? And autumn has started! And David is coming home soon, no? No worries, just get used to it. Suddenly you will explode with energy again. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete