Monday, June 16, 2008

a creative journey...come on along!

I don’t iron. I iron nothing. I don't hate it or anything, I just don't see the point. There are people, like my mom who iron everything. Most Italians I know would rather die than leave the house unironed. My mom, and most Italians I know iron bed sheets. BED SHEETS. I have, many times, declared that I have never and will never iron the sheets.

Never say never…

Ok. I ironed this sheet, but it’s not going on the bed. I hatched an idea yesterday and it involved an old sheet. The idea went better with an ironed sheet. So I ironed a sheet.

Want to take a little trip with me? Come on. I’ll tour you through my thinking…the thought process that hatched the idea. Everyone vaccinated? Let’s go into my head.

think: I really want to crochet a rag rug.

think: gotta learn to crochet.

do: nothing.

6 months later…

find: every sheet in the house with huge holes from new puppy

think: I’ll save these for that rag rug I want to make!

1 year later…

see: a guy on The Panopticon blog knitting with needles as big as turkey basters

think: I can KNIT a rag rug! (duh)

look for: turkey baster sized needles.

find: nothing.

do: nothing.

3 weeks later…

see: turkey baster needles on Mette’s kitchen table.

think: I can knit a rag rug!

borrow: Mette’s turkey baster needles

learn: to make great balls of cloth yarn from Mette

go: home with jumbo needles and some new-to-me knowledge

do: nothing

receive: this cool book from some friends who own a gallery in town (Art for the Housewife author/artist Cynthia Korzekwa...very cool, google her)

get: inspired

make: a cappuccino

finish : the milk



think: these cows from the milk carton would make cool earrings

think: Don't get distracted. I’m going to knit a rag rug! (a crochet version is found in the book)

find: Q ripped up sheets

make: great balls of cloth yarn




knit: a practice square

feel: disappointed

think: I need a better sheet

knit: this

feel: more disappointmen

t

think: I need an even better sheet.



get: permanent markers and white sheet

MAKE: a better sheet

make: a great ball of cool cloth yarn

knit: a … well, I don’t know what it will be yet but after all that I’m sure as shit not putting it on the floor and walking on it.

Tour’s over. I’ve got to knit.




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Oh, I like this!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:04 PM

    Had to respond about ironing sheets. It's not just the Italian gramma's and moms but Irish and Danish gramma's as well. My mom being a modern woman never ironed sheets but everything else that's washed is ironed. I remember clearly my gramma's ironing board set up in her kitchen. I learned to iron by first ironing my grampa's hankerchiefs than pillow cases, dish towels and onto the big times--bed sheets. By this time I finally realized that I was being scammed as free labor! But somehow Gramma managed to get me to do the ironing. I'm sure it was the chocolate chip cookies.

    P.S. Like my mom, I DON'T iron sheets but everything else seems to need ironing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Cindy and Lynn,

    I remember my mom starching and ironing ny dad's work shirts and we kids' everyday shirts and blouses (no starch for us, thank you)! But my mom never ironed sheets--with 6 kids, it would have been an overwhelming task! Finally, in the 1970s, white shirts and ties became an anachronism, and my dad was liberated from the startched collar.

    For my own generation (I will only admit to late middle age), the Great Liberator was Permapress. And Permapress is doubly significant for those of us who find themselves regrettably single. Run it through the washer, throw in the dryer, hang it on a hanger, and presto!: the perfect shirt. Not that I can't iron; I learned well at my mother's hand, and when I took costuming in college as part of my theater major, we washed and ironed costumes almost daily, Now--once or twice a year--I will iron a solid linen tablecloth upon special dinner occasions. But that's it!

    Confinded as I am to being both husband and wife, wage earner and housewife, there is no time left in my life to iron anything, let alone sheets! If it can't be washed and worn, I don't buy it.

    So....

    The iron is dead; long live the iron!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete