Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Spring in January

I am ever so pleased to announce that the rain has stopped. It's that time of the year when you go outside in short sleeves and then brag about it to your family and friends who live in the midwest (or Denmark...except those friends happen to be in Italy for this great weather, which makes bragging to them a little ridiculous)

The dogs, having about a months worth of pent up lemon chasing in them have whined, barked and cried me and my short sleeved self outside more than well I would choose to do on my own. I decided that you all needed to come with me on walk number 1000 for today.

January Spring in Maberga. The time of the year when you can find these:

I'll admit to you...I took that photo before I picked them. They just smelled so damn great that I had to have them in my studio. Since you are actually only virtually on this walk with me and smell for yourself, you'll just have to trust me...you'd have done the same thing.




It's also the time of the year when friends come out of hibernation and start having dinners and lunches. We had four such engagements last weekend. Unfortunately for you I only had my camera for one. Neighbors Franco and Lisa had us over for a lunch of random pig parts which were, respectively, 1. feet, 2. skin, 3. tongue. It's also the time of the year when these folks make a little sausage:



Oh wait, I forgot...we were walking...

It's also the time of the year when you find these on your land:






Don't ask. I don't know what it is, or was. Wild boar would be my guess but I can't be too sure.

That was kind of bad writing to have that skull discovery come right after the description of our terrific lunch. Sorry about that. There was no connection between the two...I'm sure of it.

It's also the time of the year when we are just a wee bit nervous about our road.




That would be the dogs swimming in the road. It gets better...here, step back with me a little...



the arrow there is where the land below the road is washing away. Some kindly and thoughtful neighbors put that line of rocks there so you know where not to drive.

Ok, that's enough of this walk. I'm tired. Let's go back and look at my knitting.

It also happens to be that time of the year, here in Maberga anyway, when I need to finish these socks or they will get tossed into that bottomless abyss known as the unfinished projects bin. We haven't had a bet here on Olive Knitting for a while...who wants to place a wager on any or all of these three pairs of socks getting finished? Specially that middle pair - the knee high, blaze orange doolies with the lace and ribbing up the back.

Ok. The tour is over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment