Monday, May 29, 2006

The music of love

In just a few short weeks David and I will be celebrating 11 years of wedded bliss. For a lot of reasons, that I won’t go into here, I’m really happy about us making this mile marker.

One of the things I most appreciate about our relationship is our ability to share – you know, what’s his is mine and mine his, we’re in this together, …all that kind of stuff. Maybe this is because we first met each other when we were sharing a classroom of kindergarten, 1st and 2nd graders in the ‘hood in Denver, during which time we shared laughs, tears, frustrations, pet peeves and a lot of coffee. In these years we have learned to share our hopes, dreams, fears, houses, cars, money, successes, failures, and families.

Ok, ok, ok, I admit it. There are a couple of things that we won’t share. David won’t share his sweaters with me. He says that I always spill on them. He’s totally wrong, by the way, about that but I respect the fact that he prefers that I wear my own sweaters (perhaps this has been a subconscious motivator for my knitting? In which case I’m grateful for his obvious selfishness in this area ). And I won’t share a beer. “Get your own” is my thinking. If it’s the last one, well, then we have an understanding that David gets it and he is obliged to share it with me (which, of course, is totally different than me sharing it with him).

It was only two things that had to be “his” and “hers” until this afternoon. In the next decade of happily-ever-after we might need separate CD collections. That man can not put a CD back in it’s case. I mean, after all this time (and nagging) I’m thinking that it is actually impossible for him. This would be ok…well, it’s a pain in the ass, of course, to open a CD thinking you’re going to get Tom Waits and finding James Taylor (not that I have anything against James, but when you want Tom you want Tom), but this isn’t the problem. He doesn’t get them into ANY case which is a HUGE problem because we don’t have any CDs left that don’t skip.

I know what you’re thinking, “how do you know that he’s responsible for the scratched CDs?”. Well, I’ll tell you how I know. I did a little research. Guns-n-Roses* Appetite for Destruction – not one skip. Scorpions* The Best of – not a scratch. Now, you tell me…is that a coincidence?

*for those of you not familiar with these two bands, go to google and type in “80’s pop metal”

David is away again for work. I just spoke with him on the phone and told him I was going to write this blog. He said, “great. Thanks. Bye.” Perhaps we don’t always share the same sense of humor either.

(an aside…please don’t anyone comment on how all our problems would be solved if we got an ipod. The last thing I need in this house is another damn thing that will break down)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Happy 11 years. I know one gets silver for 25 years, paper for something years, clocks for another, gold for 50. 11? HHMM. . . . . A pizza party? :) :) I can't sleep tonight so thought I would surf the net and hadn't check out Olive Knitting in awhile.

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:26 PM

    Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
    »

    ReplyDelete